Detox Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped potato
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 4 springs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 – 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot. Add onions, celery, potato and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until everything softens slightly. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, turmeric, ginger and cumin and saute 1 – 2 minutes, then add the broth and water. Bring the soup to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond milk, spinach, herbs, lemon and pepper flakes until spinach has wilted. Serve immediately!
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces dried elbow macaroni (lentil or chickpea pasta is preferred)
- 1 cup panko crumbs or chickpea crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , melted and divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in very hot water
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup drained jarred pimentos
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C). Lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- To soak cashews, boil water in a small pot and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes, until softened. (*See note)
- Place macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until al dente & according to package directions (about 9-10 minutes). Drain and cool with water. Drizzle and gently toss with olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Combine the melted butter and breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse cashews (discard soaking water). Now place all the cheese sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until cashews have completely broken down and the sauce is smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat (I used the same pot I cooked the macaroni in). Now add minced garlic & sauté for 1-2 minutes, until lightly brown (be careful not to burn).
- Pour in cheese sauce and cook for 4-5 minutes, until sauce thickens up. Stir often to prevent burning. Taste for seasoning, and add more if needed. Remove from heat. Pour the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and gently stir to combine.
- Now evenly pour into the greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs and place in the oven uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until heated throughout and the breadcrumbs are golden (*Rotate casserole dish a few times for even browning). *Optional: You can broil the top for 2-3 minutes to make it super crispy, just watch very carefully so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven and serve. Enjoy!
- Optional toppings: fresh-cut parsley, vegan parmesan, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, fresh-cracked pepper.
- Cashews: To make things easier, you can prep ahead and pre-soften your cashews by placing them in cool water for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge Then they’ll be ready to pop in the blender right away. * If you don’t have a high-speed blender, the cashews might not completely break down and this could result in a gritty texture. You can try soaking the cashews longer for 12 hours or more.
Simple stir fry sauce
- 2 tbl of toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup Braggs Amino Soy Sauce Alternative
- 2 tsp of coconut sugar
- ½ – 1 tsp of chilli garlic sauce
- 2 tbl of peanut butter